Who and what's been making news from New Mexico this past month, as measured by mentions in Google News (visit news.google.com), which tracks 4,500 worldwide news sources (trends noted are vs. last month's total hits; * indicates new to the list). Number in parenthesis indicates last month's Top 10 rank.
This month, Sen. Pete Domenici's leadership on the energy bill vaults him into the number-one spot in media mentions—displacing our governor for the first time since Top 10 started counting.
- (#2 last month) Sen. Pete Domenici—1,080 hits (up)
- (1) Gov. Bill Richardson—1,020 hits (up)
- (3) Sen. Jeff Bingaman—815 hits (up)
- (4) Gov. Bill Richardson + 2008—364 hits (up)
- (5) Gov. Bill Richardson + New Hampshire—291 hits (up)
- (7) Billy the Kid—132 hits (up)
- (8) NM Rep. Steve Pearce—33 (up)
- (6) New Mexico cockfighting—9 hits (down)
- (10) New Mexico + "battleground state"—5 hits (up)
(tie) (-) Sen. Jeff Bingaman + "re-election"—5 hits (up)